Thursday, December 10, 2009

One Page A Day

Today is the 77th day of me reading one John Berryman Dream Song a day from the 77 Dream Songs. I think a main fact of the Dream Songs is that as Berryman was writing more and more about severe alcoholism and thoughts of suicide, his readership was responding by awarding him the biggest poetry prizes possible in the United States.  One time a good teacher of mine used him as an example of "be careful what you write because it can become real."  So it was with some apprehension that I chose to take on this difficulty for such a long stretch, but going into it with that anticipation dissolved any negative effects on me I´m aware of.  In a country that publishes photos of corpses in newspapers, I´m trying not to let potentially unhealthy content go unnoticed.  I do still think the sonnets are masterful squirrels.

I admit I´m a bit surprised that each moment of reading the poem became more and more important to me just about every day of the last 76 days, and not the other way around.  Reading that way is a fun way to not be a student anymore, 3 or 4 books at a time, and I´m going to try it with some super-imagination books like Roland Barthes Empire of Signs and  Kim Hyesoon´s bestiary  Mommy Must be a Fountain of Feathers.


It´s already December.  We´re tending to drink more coffee now that it´s winter.  Psyche.  I live in the tropics.  Puerto Angel is a real working fishing village, and they usually burn the S out of their coffee.



2 comments:

  1. I could always some coffee your way, if need be. :)

    -DJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I forgot my verb: "send."

    D'oh!

    ReplyDelete